Who doesn’t love warm breads and baked goods? They always make me feel better for some reason. Unfortunately, the kind that are readily available aren’t that healthy for you.Today’s comfort food craving was chocolate cookies. I looked online for a good, whole wheat recipe, but… I couldn’t find one! I found plenty of whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chip recipes, but no plain chocolate recipes. So I found this* good plain chocolate chip cookie recipe and mixed it up a bit. (Note: This are not meant to be sweet! If you prefer a sweeter cookie, add more sugar.)
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1/2 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 c. honey (original called for 1 c. brown sugar)
- 1/4 c plus 2 teaspoons applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/3 c. instant oats
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a larger bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together.
- In a second bowl, mix egg whites, honey, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Combine the two bowls.
- Fold in chopped walnuts and oats.
- Put the cookies on the baking sheet
- Cook for 8-10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Enjoy with a cold glass of milk!